5 Unique Facts About The American Eagle Gold Coin

Photo of author
Written By Berry Mathew

American eagle gold coins are one of the most popular bullion coins in the world. Minted by the United States Mint, these coins were first introduced in 1986 and are available in four different denominations: 1/10 oz, 1/4 oz, 1/2 oz, and 1 oz. For the purpose of today’s article, we will be focusing on the 1 oz version.

While these coins are widely recognized for their beauty and value, there are several lesser-known facts about the American gold eagle 1 oz coin that make them even more interesting. Here are five such examples:

  1. The American Eagle gold coin is made of 22-karat gold.

While most gold coins are made of 24-karat gold, the American eagle is made of 22-karat gold. This means that each coin is composed of 91.67% gold, with the remaining 8.33% made up of copper and silver. This alloy makes them more durable and resistant to scratches and dents, which is especially important for coins that are meant to be used for investment purposes.

  1. American eagles are backed by the U.S. government.

Unlike other gold coins, American eagles are backed by the United States government. This means that the government guarantees each coin’s weight, content, and purity. 

In addition, the government also guarantees that the coins are legal tender, which means they can be used to pay off debts or taxes. This backing makes them a popular choice for people who are looking for a safe and reliable investment.

Click here – Top 4 Benefits of Patient Care Reporting Software

  1. They feature a unique design.

The American gold eagle 1 oz coin design is beautiful and meaningful. The obverse side of the coin features a portrait of Lady Liberty, while the reverse side depicts an eagle flying over a nest. 

The original Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle inspired the coin’s design, minted from 1907 to 1933. The coin’s design was chosen to symbolize the strength and resilience of the American people.

  1. They have a limited mintage.

The United States Mint produces a limited number of these coins each year. This limited mintage helps to ensure the rarity and value of each coin. In addition, the U.S. Mint also produces a limited number of proof coins, which are specially made for collectors. These proof coins are struck multiple times to give them a high level of detail and a mirror-like finish.

Click here – Keukenhof Garden Guide to Visit and Enjoy

  1. They are exempt from confiscation.

During the Great Depression, the U.S. government confiscated gold coins from citizens in an effort to stabilize the economy. However, American eagles are exempt from confiscation. This exemption was put in place by Congress in 1933 and has been upheld by subsequent laws. 

Why should you invest in American gold eagle 1 oz coins?

These coins are more than just beautiful pieces of bullion; they are a savvy investment for people looking to diversify their portfolio beyond volatile stocks, bonds, and other similar assets. Precious metals are much safer and more reliable investments than any other.