What To Do If Your Spouse Refuses To Get A Divorce?

Photo of author
Written By Berry Mathew

Getting your spouse to sign divorce papers can be challenging, especially if they don’t want a divorce. However, in most Arizona divorce proceedings, you can move forward without reaching an agreement with your spouse. Below is a guide to help you figure out what to do if your spouse refuses to sign the divorce papers. It explains when your spouse’s consent is required and how you can proceed with the divorce without their involvement. It also discusses how the judge can handle the matter if your spouse doesn’t sign. Alternatively, you can get in touch with the Jensen Family Law Firm here or other competent law firms to take you through the entire process; 

Must Your Spouse Sign The Divorce papers?

That depends entirely on how you define “divorce papers.” Sometimes, your spouse’s signature may or may not be required, depending on what you’re referencing. In divorce cases and other acknowledgments, your spouse’s signature is almost always required. However, in most cases, you don’t need your spouse’s signature to finalize the divorce.

Non Cooperating spouses can seek legal redress. Regardless of whether it’s a federal marriage in which your spouse refuses to agree to a divorce, the law provides alternatives to obtain a divorce.

click here – What Are Managed IT services?

Divorce Papers: What Are They?

First, it is crucial to understand what divorce papers mean, as most people often refer to various other divorce paperwork. Initiating divorce proceedings begins with divorce papers. Often, they contain court orders or agreements. Both situations require the signature of a spouse. The rules allow recourse in both cases if one spouse is unwilling to sign.

First Petition

Most people try to get their spouses to acknowledge the service of the dissolution petition and related documents. The main reason for choosing this method is to save money. It is less confrontational than having a legal representative serve the papers.

However, the spouse may refuse to sign the acceptance of service. In this case, the serving spouse must serve the documents in a manner that does not require the recipient’s assistance, usually through a legal representative.

click here – 3 Ways Lenders Can Improve The Customer Experience

Non-Covenant Marriage

If a non-covenant marriage is irreparably shattered, Arizonans don’t need a specific basis for divorce. Even if your spouse refuses to sign the divorce papers, you can file for divorce provided you meet the legal requirements and correctly file and serve your spouse’s divorce paperwork.

You should give them a response time to respond. However, you should file the divorce by default if they fail to respond within the waiting period. You can also provide alimony or spousal support, division of marital property, and a custody arrangement in a default divorce.

Uncontested Divorces

Uncontested divorces usually simplify the proceedings. While there is no recognized type of divorce in AZ, in these cases, you and your soon-to-be ex-spouse usually fill out all the necessary paperwork and reach a legal agreement. Assuming you serve your spouse with the divorce petition, they file an uncontested counter petition but refuse to sign the final agreement you have drafted. In that case, based on the facts, you may have grounds to proceed without their signature. 

However, since this is a fact-specific decision, you should consult your attorney for advice. If you cannot abide by the agreement you reached, you will likely have to take legal action, ending in a lawsuit.

Different Laws Apply To Covenant Marriages And Annulments Of Marriages

Different laws apply to covenant marriages contracted in the federal government or when you request an annulment. In a covenant marriage, if your spouse doesn’t want a divorce, you must meet one of the specified circumstances for the law to grant you a divorce. 

The courts will grant you a divorce even if your spouse is unwilling to sign if one of the unusual conditions applies to your covenant marriage.

It’s worth noting that you must abide by the Arizona laws that apply to your marriage. Therefore, it’s still in your best interest to consult with a knowledgeable Arizona family law attorney to determine the most appropriate strategy for your circumstances.

While you may find it stressful when your ex-partner is not ready to sign divorce papers, it would help to remain calm. If you find yourself in such a situation, you should;

  • Do your best not to accuse your spouse.
  • Ensure your documents are perfect.
  • Serve the divorce papers correctly.
  • Participate in mediation

If you have difficulty with your divorce or are concerned that your ex may refuse to sign, you should seek legal counsel. That way, a professional will take you through the entire process detailing all crucial aspects of your situation.