The special K Diet is also known as the K Diet. The diet is a simple a 2-week diet where you replace the two times meal with the Special K Cereal. The diet promises a quick weight loss. In the diet of 14 days, you only eat the same cereal for 2 meals every day and also restrict the variety of foods that you can eat. The diet can last only for 14 days, not beyond that.
What Is The Special K Diet?
The special K cereal diet is a 14-day diet program in which you have to replace 2 meals with a bowl of special K cereal and low-fat milk. You can have some whole fruits, vegetables, and some special K bars and even shakes in the day time. Apart from two special k cereal meals, you can have a third meal of the normal balanced diet.
Special K Challenge Diet
This is a special k diet 2-week challenge that was created by the Kellogg Company which claims that you can shed off up to six pounds in just two weeks. There are specifications now available anywhere is the Kellogg website now.
Special K Diet Foods
There no restriction on the food in this special K diet. Apart from Special K cereal, Special K bars, and Special K shakes you can have the following foods as a part of the diet.
- Fresh vegetables
Examples: Celery, carrot, beetroot, spinach, bell peppers, etc.
- Whole fresh fruits
Examples: Peach, apple, orange, grapefruit, plum, etc.
Examples: Tuna, Salmon, Chicken Breast, Soy Chunks, Chickpeas, kidney beans
- Dairy Products Clarified Butter
Examples: Low-fat milk, low-fat yogurts, and eggs
- Fats and Oils
Examples: olive oil, flaxseed oil, rice bran oil, Ghee(clarified buttermilk)
Examples: ginger powder, cardamom, cinnamon, coriander powder, cumin seeds, black pepper, etc
Examples: Fresh fruit juices, coconut water, and buttermilk.
- Special K bars
- Special k protein shakes
The special k protein shakes diet drinks are very good at the taste, convenience, and also portable you are on the special K diet. The shakes are available in many flavors for examples: Milk Chocolate, French Vanilla, Rich Chocolate, Strawberry, Vanilla Cappuccino, Chocolate Mocha
Ingredients in the special K shakes
These are the ingredients in your shake may vary these are the main ingredients
- Protein blend with water and no fat milk
- Soya protein isolate
- Canola oil
- Flavors (natural and artificial)
Special K Diet Foods To Avoid
There are some foods that you should avoid when you are on the special K diet
- Dairy: cheese, butter, and margarine
- Vegetable: Potato and sweet potato
- Fruits: Mango and jackfruit
- Fats and Oils: lard and hydrogenated refined oil
- Beverages: Alcohol, packed fruit juices, packed coconut water, etc
Special K Diet Meal Plans
The answer to your question about how to do the special k diet is very simple.
The special k diet meal plan is very easy and consists of very simple eatables. Below is an example of the diet plan with simple
- Breakfast: a cup of skim milk + 1 cup k cereal
- Snacks: 1 piece of fruit
- Lunch: a cup of skim milk + 1 cup k cereal
- Snack: 1 special K bar or shake
- Dinner: have your regular meal with a limited portion
The K diet has no specific meal or snack time. You can eat your regular meal at any mealtime in the morning or afternoon too. Just simply you have to replace any 2 meals of the day with special k cereals.
Special K Diet Recipe
- The recipe for the Special K diet is very easy with simple ingredients
- All you need is
- A cup of low-fat milk
- A bowl of special K cereals
- Apple, orange, grapes or berries Or honey
- You can add either chopped fruits or honey in the cup of low-fat milk + special K cereal the way you like it.
Below is a simple list of examples for the dishes that you can have when on the diet. The recipes are easy to follow
- Baked Special K & Vegetable Cutlet
- Kellogg’s Special K Chocolate Blueberry Spiced Bar
- Kellogg’s Oats Veggie Nutri Cutlets
- Kellogg’s Special K Pesarattu Waffle
- Veggie Shepherd’s Pie with a Special K Twist
Special K Diet Plan Instructions
There are no such hard and fast special K diet rules only some instructions.
Replace your 2 out 3 meals with the Special K bowl cereal
Monitor the size and portion of your 3 meal that is a regular meal of the day.
You can have snacks 2 times a day
Special K Diet Pros and Cons
Like any other, you have the pros and cons of this diet too. Let’s have a look at these
- The special K cereals are easily available at any grocery store
- You do not have to cook something special for you. You just need a half bowl of skim milk and your k cereal
- You have to not skip any meal and have snacks too
- The diet can be followed by vegetarians also
- You are very likely to see good results in a very short time if you stick to the plan properly
- The Special K cereals may not keep you feel full for long
- There are no guidelines on what to eat in the 3rd meal so you may end up eating too many calories at the end of the day
- The work out is not a part of the course or program
- The weight loss can be only temporary
- You have to buy the cereals and other branded special k diet products
Is Special K Healthy For A Diet
A good and healthy diet is the one that has whole foods from many food groups in the right portions and size plus it should be complemented with an exercise. The special K is missing something here. And also the intake of calories are very few which may affect your energy levels and also moods.
Nutrition Value in Special K Original Cereal
The special K cereals are available in many brands so it is good to read the nutrition labels before you buy the cereal. Keep an eye on the nutrition’s and avoid the ones with lots of added sugars.
The Special K original cereal with a half cup of skim or no-fat milk will give you the following:
The original K cereal does not contain any fat and also has very little fiber.
- Calories: 200
- Fat: 0.7 grams
- Carbs: 34 grams
- Protein: 14 grams
- Sodium: 322 milligrams
- Potassium: 402 milligrams
Vitamins in the Special K original cereals
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B-6
- Vitamin B-12
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
- Folic Acid
- Iron Selenium
Does The Special K Diet Work
In a study by Kellogg’s CO. Ltd, they saw that the participants following the Special K Diet lost their weight in pounds from 0 to 13 at the end of just 2 weeks. They also saw that some people lost nearly 10% of their body fat. Like many studies, it is noticed that on average a person can lose 3.5 pounds.
All these studies focused on short-term weight loss program they did not study further whether the people maintained their weight loss for more time or not.
We would say that the Special K Diet can help you lose weight but you can gain the weight back as soon as you go down to your normal diet.
Special K Challenge Diet Results
With Special K you can lose good weight. It is seen that you can lose up to 1 to 2 pounds extra in the first few weeks. Then the weight loss per week is slowed down.
But it is not a long-time solution for losing weight. It is seen that if you return to your normal diet the weight that you lost comes back quickly.
A lifestyle change can be a base foundation of a sustainable long-term weight loss program and the Special K Diet misses this part. Some things that are done on daily bases make big differences over time
Special K Diet Reviews
If you are looking for a diet to start losing weight then this is the best diet, to begin with. To make the diet even work better you can add some physical activities to your daily plan. Also, keep your dinner meals healthy and add some multi-vitamins food to your diet.
As per an expert, the special K diet is a good choice for the ones who skip their meals in the day time.
Ashlynn Grieger, RD says This can be a good option for those people who skip their meals or eat a lot of fast even or for the people who eat meals that are loaded with calories.
Is Special K really good for weight loss?
According to the diet challenge, you can lose up to 6 pounds of your weight in just 14 days. But you need to follow the diet properly with 2 meals of cereals, some healthy snakes, and a regular meal with a controlled portion.
Can you lose weight by just eating cereal?
It is studied that when you have cereals for 2 meals that are for breakfast and lunch it can help you lose some weight.
Is Special K high in carbs?
The Special K Original has 22.75 grams of carbohydrates per bowl which is a low carb content.
Which cereal is best for weight loss?
The best cereals you can have for shedding some extra weight
- Special K Original
- Nature’s Path Love Crunch
- Fiber One Original Bran
- Kashi Go Peanut Butter Crunch
- Original Cheerios
- Cascadian Farm Lemon Blueberry Granola
- All-Bran Complete Wheat Flakes
- Grape Nuts
- Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Whole Grain Cereal
The Special K diet is a good choice to lose weight fast and need quick results. But if you are looking for a diet that you can follow for the long term then remember that the diet is to follow for two weeks. This is a great jump-start for any weight loss diet. Losing some pounds with the diet can keep you motivated. Also, you must keep in mind that the safest way to lose weight and maintain it is that you stick to a balanced diet plan with some regular exercise and activities. You can always start a healthy weight loss plan with the Special K Diet.